William Paterson University of New Jersey
WP helps you turn I want into I will
At William Paterson University, we know our students come to us with inspiration, perseverance, and grit. We already know you’ve got Will Power—that’s the little something extra that makes William Paterson students special. That’s why we match your determination with outstanding academic programs and the tools and support to help you reach your full potential. A leading public University with nearly 10,000 students, WP offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs through its four academic schools: College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Cotsakos College of Business; College of Education; and College of Science and Health.
The University offers a vast array of learning opportunities in our classrooms, laboratories, and studios as well as throughout campus and at various off-campus locations. William Paterson’s faculty members provide a valuable blend of accomplished scholarship and practical, applied experience. Among the University’s faculty are many Fulbright scholars and recipients of numerous other awards, grants, and fellowships. Students benefit from individualized attention from faculty mentors, small class sizes, and numerous research, internship, and clinical experiences. Our innovative Will. Power. 101 first-year experience program guides new students in transitioning to college life. We also offer a full range of academic and student support services to help you succeed. Together, we’ll do this.
Academic programs and degrees
William Paterson University offers nearly 150 bachelor's and master’s degrees as well as certificate programs in a wide range of disciplines. There are also pre-professional programs in Dentistry, Law, Optometry, Podiatry, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant, and Veterinary Science. The University partners with Mercer County Community College also offer several bachelor’s degrees for Mercer graduates on the college’s West Windsor campus. Through its WP Online platform, the University offers more than two dozen fully online undergraduate and graduate degree programs as well as a wide array of certificate programs.
On the University’s scenic Wayne campus, you'll share an active college experience with students from every background and perspective. We have more than 100 clubs and organizations, 28 fraternities and sororities, 13 NCAA Division III athletic teams, and 31 club sports and intramural activities—so there's always something exciting going on. Our beautiful residence halls provide safe and comfortable environments for studying and participating in activities, making it easy to stay connected to everything happening on campus. You'll build professional connections and lifelong friendships with your fellow Pioneers.
William Paterson is the third most diverse public university in New Jersey, and 45% of our students are the first in their families to attend university. The University is designated as a Minority-Serving and Hispanic-Serving Institution. Nearly 30% of students claim Hispanic heritage.
William Paterson University’s state-of-the-art facilities are designed to support the institution’s focus on experiential learning and provide students with preparation for careers and graduate study. Examples include:
• University Hall, an 80,000-square-foot academic building partially funded with $30 million from the “Building Our Future” Bond Act, which provides general-use classrooms and dedicated laboratories and clinical spaces for programs in nursing, communication disorders, and public health
• Science Complex, an interactive learning environment with nearly 100 research labs and 50 teaching labs, many of which can be configured in multiple ways to enhance faculty and student collaboration
• Numerous studios for both HD-ready TV and radio broadcast as well as music recording and audio production facilities
• Labs for film, animation, and graphic design and a large-scale robot system for 3D sculpting
• Russ Berrie Professional Sales Laboratory, a unique computerized multimedia facility that simulates business office environments, and the Financial Learning Center, a simulated trading room
Ranked among the "Best Regional Universities" in the North | U.S. News & World Report, 2023
Ranked among the "Top Public Schools" | U.S. News & World Report, 2023
Named a "Top Performer on Social Mobility" | U.S. News & World Report, 2023
Ranked among the "Best Value Schools" | U.S. News & World Report, 2023
Ranked among the nation's "Best Undergraduate Nursing Programs" | U.S. News & World Report, 2023
Set on 407 wooded acres in Wayne, Haledon, and North Haledon, New Jersey, campus is just three miles from the historic Great Falls in Paterson as well as just 20 miles from the rich cultural, artistic, and commercial life of New York City.
At William Paterson University, we continuously empower our students to achieve the goals they set for themselves. Here's what we offer to help students succeed!
• 11,000 hours of community service: Our students give back, big time each year.
• A vibrant campus community: Set on 407 wooded suburban acres, there's always something exciting going on.
• Proximity to New York City: Just 20 miles away, you can almost bite the Big Apple from here.
• 31 club sports and intramural activities: From intramurals or club sports to intercollegiate athletics, the WP community offers something for everyone.
• 13 NCAA Division III athletic teams: Our student-athletes give it their all, and the continued support of our alumni is an integral part of our success.
• 100+ student clubs and organizations: Go Greek. Get social. Soak up some culture. Find your club or start one.
• Alumni network 82,000 strong: Our alumni are living proof that our students achieve greatness—on campus and out in the world.
• Faculty Fulbright Scholars: Think of our professors as Olympic Gold Medalists in Academics.
• One-to-one mentoring: You’ll find your academic guru and support system here.
• 2,000+ scholarships: Thousands of scholarships are available for an invaluable education at a great value.
• Smaller classes: Small can make a big difference.
• Hands-on experience opportunities: Undergrads get a taste of the real world in state-of-the-art labs, classrooms, and studios.
“Being a student at WP has provided me with wonderful hands-on learning experiences. With the support of great mentors, I have been able to perform meaningful research, present my work at a conference, and attain great insights into my field through clinical placements. Overall, my experience at WP has been thoroughly gratifying."
“The Cotsakos College of Business provided me with numerous opportunities. The challenging courses are centered on real-world knowledge that I applied to internships in tax and wealth management, and I was prepared to begin working on my professional licensure promptly after graduation. Outside of class, I took advantage of campus career fairs and résumé-building workshops, and participated in the University’s sales triathlon. I am thankful for these experiences and the memories I’ve made."
"Being part of the Costakos College of Business has allowed me to immerse myself in the world of finance through rigorous courses, research opportunities, and support from faculty members. I have completed my Business honors thesis and have learned valuable skills that helped me receive two exceptional internships at Sax LLP and Becton Dickinson. WP has given me the tools to jumpstart my career."
"I gained all the building blocks I needed [at WP]: experience, an internship, and interview skills. Not only did performing laboratory research on campus increase my understanding of biological concepts, it also helped me establish solid relationships with faculty members and other student researchers. I also strengthened my public speaking abilities by presenting my research at conferences."
"As a sophomore, I had the honor of being selected as an athletic training intern for the New York City Football Club. I worked directly with professional athletes, and thanks to WP, I felt prepared, confident, and comfortable in the job. The professors, clinical staff, and coaches here really want to see students do well; they invest a lot of their own time in us. It’s just as much about their hard work as ours when we succeed."
"I was blown away by the resources here—not only physically on campus but also within the faculty. The professors don’t just teach and go home; they're doing a lot of great work and research within their discipline, and they include students in that—that’s what I’ve really valued. Faculty offer opportunities to learn outside of class all the time, which makes what we learned in class applicable and easier to understand."